Sales & marketing process re-alignment improves profitability
This customer is a manufacturer of cable assemblies and associated services. As the company began its business strategy review process they identified that they needed to put a simple and effective marketing action plan into place which would help them to move into new markets and grow the business.
- Having previously engaged an external marketing team, they rebranded to position themselves within their most profitable market. It soon became apparent that the new branding and website deselected them from entering any new markets.
- They also invested in a CRM system that was being used as a filing cabinet for quotations which were not being followed up.
- No sales processes were in place to build the sales funnel.
- None of the customer facing collateral was branded and aligned.
- Whilst they had successfully identified new markets to enter, they were not set up to exploit them.
In undergoing a full review it was it identified that a cohesive sales & marketing strategy needed to be implemented.
After reviewing the setup, sales processes and what had been achieved to date a few quick wins were generated and a simple but effective strategy put in place. Just some of the achievements made in the first 8 weeks:-
- New company name and allied strap line developed which would enable them to enter any market.
- New corporate colours and a logo refinement to bring the brand alive.
- New corporate collateral which included; proposal, presentation, case studies * 3, whitepaper, capability statement
- Within 6 weeks of 50fives engagement a new website was designed with new content, which went live in timescale.
- Marketing action plan and budget created.
- New sales processes identified , implemented and staff trained.
- External telemarketer employed on a 5 day trial to generate appointments, with 3 key ones made in the first 3 days.
- A new business opportunity profile was created highlighting the ‘ideal’ customer profile which was used to target new opportunities.
- All of the disparate data was collated, de-duped, cleaned up and checked for relevance and imported into Microsoft Dynamics CRM.
Future plans include:-
- A series of workshops will be run with key partners to demonstrate innovation in design.
- Email marketing to raise awareness amongst customers and prospects alike
- Staff trained (and coached) to use the new systems and processes ensuring that key company information was always to hand.
The new branding, website and collateral which forms the sales toolkit went live in 6 weeks meaning that the business development team could promote the companies capabilities with pride and prospects from new market sectors could fully understand their capabilities.
The telemarketer kick started the lead generation process delivering qualified appointments back into the team enabling them to work towards the company’s turnover goals.
The CRM system data was cleaned up and new processes implemented meaning that the system is now strategic to the order creation process, has up to date data and quotations are being followed up in a timely manner.
By June 2011 they had over £5m worth of prospects in their pipeline, which they were converting.
Grab your free how to write a non-fiction book and book planner here
All good books start with an idea and come to fruition with a plan.
Subscribe to get your plan and E-book How to write a non-fiction book and start writing the right book, right now.
You will receive your e-book and an Excel spreadsheet with all of the steps on for you to use and update as you go along.