Bring vision, reader, content and strategy together and write the right book
Unless we are very clear about where we are going relative to the position on the map, your book may end up reaching for the moon, aiming for the stars, or worse still wavering between all points on the compass.
The heart spot for your book is where your vision, the business strategy, the reader you are writing for and the content, which is most relevant, intersect. As writers, we tend to want to deliver content without a thought to how we might use it and who will be reading it.
Review your previous work:-
- Values to vision
- Market environment
- Who is my reader?
- Business strategy
Once you have mapped the four parts out, where they intersect is your heart spot for THIS BOOK.
- Vision: Where do your personal vision, business vision and your book vision intersect? Your vision will have an impact on how you write, present and market your book
- Reader: You now know who you are speaking to when you write your book. You know where they live, what they like to read, their hobbies and how their values map to yours
- Content: You will now either have the ONE idea or have a number of ideas for your book. What is on your ideas wall? All of these ideas could be worth pursuing; however, we are looking for the ONE idea. When you have clarity, you can start to think about which content you will use, write or research to fill the gaps (see knowledge audit later to uncover this)
- Strategy: You will know how you are going to use your book and this will shape how you write and present your content
Decision time: What is the ONE book you are going to write NOW?
There is one more test…
Heart, gut, head
Which book idea speaks to your heart, intuitively feels right and which your head tells you makes the most sense to write? Work it through in that order:-
There may be many books which you could write. There will be one, the ONE that is right for you, right now. After all of the discovery and mapping out of your ideas you have to choose. Which ONE is it? which is the right book?
Get your copy on Amazon and start to write the right book
Plan your non fiction book in a weekend has been designed to help you to be able to undertake all of the vital planning tasks that make writing a book – simple and stress free
Each day to help you create your book, I am going to answer these essential planning questions:-
- What kind of planner am I and why is this important to know?
- What tools and resources do I need?
- What is the process and cost of writing and publishing a book?
- How long will it take me?
- How do I get ideas for my book?
- How do I choose the ONE big idea for my book?
- What is an outline and how do I create one?
- How can I structure my chapters?
- How do I create and use a book proposal?